The Gasparilla Island Rear Range Light was first lit in 1932. The second Gasparilla Island Light was originally constructed in 1881 to serve as the Delaware Breakwater Rear Range Light. The light was discontinued in 1918. The tower was disassembled in 1921, and reassembled on Gasparilla Island in 1927. However, the light was not lit until 1932, when it served as the rear entrance range light for Port Boca Grande, with the front entrance range light approximately one mile off shore in the Gulf of Mexico. The Boca Grande Rear Range Light remains in operation at its new home today, guiding vessels safely through the Boca Grande Channel into the safe confines of Charlotte Harbor.
When the two lights, which flashed at different rates, lined up, the ships' navigators knew it was time to turn to enter Gasparilla Pass.